So what can you do as a vehicle owner to protect yourself from gas theft? suggestions:
1. Buy a locking gas cap. They cost from US$10 to $20 and can be found at most auto-parts stores.
2. Park in an attended lot and leave only the ignition or door key with the attendant, not the gas-cap key.
3. Park in areas with plenty of foot traffic that are well-lit.
4. Never leave your car running unattended (even in the winter). Thieves who’ve come to steal your gas may make off with your vehicle as well.
5. If you currently use your garage for storage consider emptying it and parking your car there. Gas thieves won’t target your vehicle if they don’t know it’s there.